|Man after eating too much sugar|
Probably the first thing people think of as a way to limit sugar intake is to exchange sodas sweetened with sugar for “diet” low-calorie or sugar-free sodas. However, drinks with artificial sweeteners are not healthy. “Higher consumption of artificially-sweetened soft drink was associated with an increased risk of both stroke and dementia.” (Read the research here.) A better choice is water, flavored with a slice of fruit.
Here are some other suggestions for reducing sugar in your diet:
- Instead of topping your morning cereal or oatmeal with sugar, add chopped fresh fruit.
- Eat fruit instead of pastries, cake or cookies for dessert or a snack.
- Barbecue sauce and catsup contain significant amounts of sugar. Instead, use lower-sugar condiments such as hot sauce, mustard or salsa.
- When baking your own goodies, you can usually decrease the amount of sugar up to half. Or try substituting unsweetened applesauce for some or all of the sugar in the recipe.
- Read nutrition labels on packaged foods to help find those with the lowest sugar. You can often get nutrition information on restaurant menus as well. Make wise choices to lower your sugar intake.
Post a Comment
Got a Comment?