|Where do you want to go in life?
The purpose of your life is a focus or guidance for living. It is like the mission statement of a company. Everyone should have one.
If you don’t know what your purpose in life is, then your current purpose should be to define your purpose. And here are some steps to help you get started toward a more purposeful life.
- Self-awareness is a prerequisite for a purposeful life. Make a list (in your journal or on your computer) of your answers to the following questions.
- What are your interests, the things that motivate you?
- What are your values that guide your decision-making and are the foundation of your resilience?
- What are your strengths, the core of your personality?
- Consider the following list of personality traits. Make a promise to yourself to develop these purposeful personality characteristics.
- Forming friendships with people who have a sense of purpose
- Spending time with supportive friends and avoiding those who are toxic
- Ignoring what others think of you
- Being optimistic
- Having a good sense of humor
- Being persistent toward your goals
- Expressing gratitude daily
- Write a positive personal description. List only positives, no negative or neutral points. Include information about:
- Whatever has been most important in your life (remember, positives only)
- Your most calm, peaceful experiences
- Your most exciting experiences
- Write another list of the things in your life that are most enjoyable to you. Be sure to include the following topics:
- People and places
- Activities and experiences
- Thoughts and ideas
- Sensory experiences
- Write one or more paragraphs to respond to the following questions:
- What is important to me?
- What do I want to accomplish in my life?
- What impact do I want to have on the people in my life?
- What will be my legacy when my life is over?
- Who would the best possible “you” be?
- Review what you wrote for Steps 3, 4 and 5. Select five to ten words that are your best self-description. Use these words to write a positive sentence or two that is a narrowed down focus. That’s your purpose in life.
- Just as a company shouldn’t stop with writing a mission statement, but also need to act to accomplish its mission, you must hold yourself accountable for working toward your life purpose. How are you going to get there? Set personal goals and milestones to measure your success toward those goals. Envision your progress toward accomplishing your life purpose.
Here are some additional resources: