Sure you can see the cutest YouTube kitten and hedgehog videos, but since we can’t get out and walk through a zoo, watching live cams will have to stand in, without the odors. Sometimes the cameras catch a zookeeper at work.
Hint: If the animal you want to watch is not visible when you turn on the web cam, try at a different time of day. Some animals are more active at dawn and dusk than at mid-day. And remember, the animals may not be in your time zone!
Here are some zoo cams you might want to check out.
- The San Diego Zoo (including koalas, penguins, butterflies, tigers, giraffes and elephants) - https://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/live-cams
- The Smithsonian National Zoo (including naked mole-rats, pandas and lions) - https://nationalzoo.si.edu/webcams
- The Kansas City Zoo (including orangutans, otters and penguins) - https://www.kansascityzoo.org/animal-cams/
- The Edinburgh Zoo (including pandas. penguins and koalas) - https://www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/webcams/panda-cam/
- The Reid Park Zoo (showing lions, elephants, grizzly bears and lemurs) - http://reidparkzoo.org/cameras/giraffe-cam/
- The Memphis Zoo (showing hippos, pandas and elephants) - https://www.memphiszoo.org/animal-cams
- The Georgia Aquarium (highlighting the beluga whales, alligators, piranhas and sea lions) - https://www.georgiaaquarium.org/webcam/beluga-whale-webcam/
- The Houston Zoo (featuring their giraffes and ostriches) - https://www.houstonzoo.org/explore/webcams/giraffe-feeding-platform/
- The Atlanta Zoo (sharing a panda cam) - https://zooatlanta.org/panda-cam/
- For a collection of animal cams, including views of falcons, rhinos, dolphins, jellyfish, bison, and many , many more - https://www.earthcam.com/events/animalcams/
Do you enjoy watching the zoo animals? Remember that now the zoos are closed to the public, they have no income… but the costs of feeding and caring for the animals continue. If you are able to do so, please consider donating to your local zoo.