Sunday, June 9, 2024

June is Dairy Month – What is in milk?

3 Jars of Milk of Various Sizes

Cow milk is made up of 87% water. The other 13% is proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, and minerals. Overall, milk contains 58 different nutrients your body needs.  Calcium may be the best-known mineral found in milk and other dairy products. Calcium forms the structure of strong bones and teeth. An 8-ounce glass of milk or cup of yogurt provides 300 milligrams (mg) of calcium. This is the same amount of calcium as in 13 small cans of tuna, 11 eggs, 7 cups of uncooked rice, 6 oranges, or 5 ounces of salmon with bones. Other dairy products made from milk also contain significant amounts of calcium. An ounce of cheese or a cup of ice cream contains 200 mg of calcium. Cottage cheese contains 100 mg of calcium per ¾ cup serving. Unfortunately, too many people don’t get enough calcium in their diet. Osteoporosis, a loss of bone density that makes your skeleton weak and brittle, can results from calcium deficiency. So can tooth decay! Calcium deficiency can also lead to feelings of fatigue or muscle aches. So, eat more dairy products. Drink up! Milk is known as “nature’s perfect food.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a Comment?